There could be various reasons to rekey locks and one of them sure has to be with each of us if not all. Your valuable assets like your house, car etc. are always at the risk of burglaries, break-ins and vandalism. Where you left the keys last also leaves the memory forever sometimes. This may also lead to the possible miscreant creating copies of your keys and using them whilst you are oblivious.
How It’s Done:
Rekeying locks helps in carrying a lesser load of keys and you can use one key for more than one lock at home, at work, anywhere, without letting anyone know about this. This comes in very easy methods with simple steps to follow. For normal house locks, designed on the universal keying system, any locksmith can rekey it.
However, for branded locks, rekeying kits are available at hardware stores.
These kits can rekey up to 6 locks at the most but its components could be purchased alone to make the kit work longer for you.
Once you have the kit in front of you, follow these simple steps:
• Regular house locks need to be removed using the wire in the kit.
• Use the retainer ring tool to separate the ring from the cylinder.
• Remove the cylinder and carefully place the news pins inside the spaces there. Match the color coding on the pins and spaces.
• After placing pins, reassemble the lock again.
• If placed in the correct combination, the key fits perfectly well.
• This method is effective for the basic 6-pin locks that we usually use around our houses.
The Car Lock:
Similar kits can be used for the car locks too. The method and steps are almost the same. When rekeying more than one car locks, just remember to arrange the pins in the same manner so that the same key could be used on each.
To order a car locksmith to the Colorado Springs area call the number on: http://www.speedylocksmith.net/locksmith-colorado-springs/